Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Master's Voice

It's been a while since my first post but believe me there's been lots happening on my journey.

For some months now I've been on a journey of discovery, kind of an awakening I guess.  So I thought I might share a bit about my thoughts on who I'm learning to listen to.

I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to be introduced to my Heavenly Father at a young age.  I am thankful for my Godly parents who led me to Jesus.  Where I think it all got a little messed up was in organised church....

I'm not blaming anyone in particular but I somehow developed this idea that Pastors and Leaders had some kind of direct line to the Father that I didn't, and because they must be more 'spiritual' than me then they would be able to help me make the right decisions or give me direction. But quite often those people let me down or counselled me with their own interest in mind.  I also had this incorrect belief that if the 'Man of God' said it then it must be right. Sometimes even followed along as a loyal and faithful church member even when I felt uncomfortable about what I was hearing and seeing.  

Now I'm not throwing the baby out with the bath water here so don't panic.  I do believe that there is wisdom in good counsel and that there are people ahead of me on the journey that can be a source of encouragement and help me with direction, but I was neglecting something far more important....

The Creator of the universe restored me to Himself so I could have a vibrant intimate relationship with Him.  And that includes being able to go to Him for my direction first and then Him speaking to me.

I look at it like this...  Say you were introduced to someone new at a friends house and you both really connected in conversation. Then before going home you said, "Hey I really enjoyed chatting with you a little, and I'd be keen to spend more time getting to know you, can we hook up again soon?" But your new friend answered, "Well that sounds great but I'm not usually available for direct conversations so if you talk to Peter over there he'll ask me anything you want and then he'll get back to you with my answers".  That would be kind of weird wouldn't it!

I'm discovering that the Father is not like that at all.  He's waiting for me, He longs to share every moment on the journey with me.  He knows and understands my questions better than anyone, His motives are pure and He cares so deeply for me.

The exciting part for me is that He has been speaking to me, and I'm learning to listen to His voice.  He's leading and guiding me. We're beginning to have regular conversations, and the more I'm understanding his incredible love for me as a son, the more I feel us getting closer.

1 comment:

milkandhoney said...

Great blogging.
Ready for the next one...
Love you heaps.

xxx